Setup a Sguil Client in 8-Steps using VMware Player and VMWare Browser-Appliance
The Browser-Appliance available from VMware provides a good platform* for getting a demo Sguil Client up and running with ethereal and firefox web browser.
1. Download and install virtual machine player VMware Player here:
2. Download the Browser-Appliance virtual machine and run as described here:
3. Open a terminal from within the running Browser-Appliance virtual machine
Click: Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
4. Open super user shell**
$ sudo su -
5. Install Sguil-related dependencies using the debian package manager apt-get***:
# apt-get install tclx8.4 tcllib iwidgets4 ethereal cvs # ln -s /usr/bin/ethereal /usr/sbin/ethereal
6. Exit super user shell
7. Download and install sguil client as described here: http://sguil.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download
$ cvs -d:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvsroot/sguil login $ cvs -d:pserver:email@example.com:/cvsroot/sguil co sguil
8. Start the Sguil client
$ cd ~/sguil/client/ $ ./sguil.tk
Now you are ready to login to the demo site!
--Johnc 15:15, 31 December 2006 (PST)
--Johnc 07:33, 12 November 2009 (PST) - updated link to BrowserAppliance
* The underlying operating system for the Browser-Appliance is debian-based Ubuntu.
** Sudo will prompt for the password of the default user 'vmware'. You can change/set the password this way: Click: System -> Preferences -> About Me -> Change Password
*** For those unfamiliar with using the 'apt-get' command: should you receive error messages during installation, try running 'apt-get update' and then re-running the original apt-get command. You may find you need to do this serveral times before all required software packages are updated or installed. Also, since Ethereal will install under /usr/bin/ethereal, we can create a link to where Sguil expects the binary.